A Brief History Of Sam Sui Wui Kun
三水人早於公元1841年就有人南来新加坡谋生，初期多居 住於牛车水一帶，据父老传闻，三水人早期在广合源街廿三号 设有肄江别墅，后来迁至豆腐街，始更名为三水会馆。
三水会馆成立于何年月，因年代久远，欠缺文献记载，已 无从考究；惟一可根据的是有旧「三水义塚」墓碑立于光绪乙 酉年(1885年)，可证明三水人在公元 1885年之前，经有乡社的组织。
迄公元1903年，何心田被选为会馆副总理，因鑑於其他邑侨均有堂皇的会址，乃建议购置馆所，惟不得总理首肯而作罢。越二年，何心田被公推为会馆正总理，遂重提前议，获得各执事热烈支持，於是召开同人大会，通过进行筹购会所事 宜，并推选黎某和陆某为筹建馆址正、副总理，九位协理为何心田，邓寿屏，岑璋，陆以钊，黎淘生，程 怀，冼联，李吉雪，陆祥；黎某辞任总理，陆某亦不愿承担任何财务责任，何君以事若中止，後继更难，询诸协理，皆愿追隨何君，竭力以赴，当时三水邑侨，生活並不富裕，经济能力有限，然各执事互相勖勉，努力促成，并发捐册到各埠，求助于远近乡亲，终在众志成城下，翌年，购得海山街三十五号三层楼屋宇，屋价三千五百元，连装修、像俬设备及开幕等，共银八千馀元。
公元 1961年，三水义学因欠缺课室办理六年制小学课程而停办；然会馆同人对於作育英才，仍不遗馀力，设立小学奬学金，每年颁发奨学金给各成绩优良的会员子女，后来更惠及中学及大专学院。三水会馆醒獅团成立于公元1965年，由文化部政务部长李炯才主持开幕，以促进青少从事有益身心的文娱活动。1967年，会馆庆祝八十一周年假国家剧场举办南北獅武术犬会串，敦请尤索夫总 统为赞助人，为防癌协会筹得二万元经费，参与演出的团体除
会馆从1978年开始，每年岁末，均分派贺岁金给年满七十岁的乐龄会员，除红包外，尚设午餐招待。每年四时节庆，会馆都在会所举办聚会，以联系同乡感情，如元旦自由餐酒会 ，中秋晚会，均免费招待会员。每逢星期日，下午二时至七时，会馆 礼堂有卡拉ok歌唱活动，供会员们娛乐休闲。
A Brief History Of Sam Sui Wui Kun
The Samsui came to Singapore to make a living as early as 1841. Initially, most Samsui lived in the vicinity of Chinatown. According to elders, the “Yi-Kong Villa” (肄江别墅) was established by the Samsui at 23 Pagoda Street. Later, it was relocated To Fu Jie (Upper Chin Chew Street) and changed its name to Sam Sui Wui Kun (SSWK), also known as Sam Sui Association. There is no record of when the clan was founded. However an ancient Samsui tomb was erected in the 11th year of the reign of Emperor Guangxu (光绪乙酉年) proves that the Samsui community was formed before 1885.
In 1903 Ho Sum Tin ( 何心田 ，He Xintian) was appointed as Deputy General Manager of SSWK. By then other Chinese clans in Singapore already had their own premises, so Ho proposed the Association to acquire its own building, but the General Manager was not in favour of this idea. Two years later, after Ho was elected as the General Manager of the clan, he tabled the proposal again and won the Committee’s support. An extraordinary general meeting was called, fundraising plans were discussed and the project committee was formed. Lai and Lou (黎某和陆某) were appointed as GM and Deputy GM of the project respectively and the other nine committee members included were Ho Sum Tin (何心田, He Xintian); Tang Shao Peng (邓寿屏, Deng Shouping); Sam Jiong (岑璋, Cen Zhang); Loke Yi Chew (陆以钊, Lu Yizao); Lai Yun Sang (黎润生, Li Runsheng); Cheng Wai (程 怀, Cheng Huay); Xin Lin (冼联, Xian Lian); Lee Kat Xue (李吉雪, Li ji xue) and Loke Choing (陆祥, Lu Xiang). Lai eventually resigned as the GM while Luo refused to take on the financial responsibility of the project. Ho felt it a pity to abort the project, so he worked hard to gain full support from the rest of the team.
During those days, Samsui living abroad were not wealthy; the project committee therefore had to put much more efforts to secure donations from folks near and far. Finally, a 3- storey building located at 35 Hai San Street (Upper Cross Street ) at $3,500 was acquired in the following year. The total cost came up to more than $8,000 including renovation, furniture and fittings and opening ceremony expenses。
Having our own premises meant that it was easier for fellow Samsui to keep in contact with one another and allowed us to focus on the social welfare of our members. We even set up a community-run school with classrooms on second and third floors and advocate cultural education. Samsui living in Singapore could use the hall – a great venue to gather friends and family during festival and wedding seasons.
Then came 1927 the Registry of Deeds informed us that our lease was due to expire in 1939. We were urged to reconstruct the back portion of the building before renewing the lease at prevailing rate otherwise the property would be nationalized. The reconstruction cost was estimated around $3,000
which took a toll on the clan’s finances so we were unable to proceed with the next step immediately. Unfortunately the renewal fee was increased over the following years so it was even more difficult for the Association to raise the required amount.
In the 1937 Wong Sacktou (黄锡涛,Huang Xitao) the then GM was convinced that it was time to improve its management effectiveness hence revised the organization’s constitutions and changed the post of General Manager to President. Wong understood the urgency of renewing the lease but staffing and financing issues pose great challenges for him. The break came during the election in 1938, Wong pushed for the new leadership by Yew Gao (姚九, Yao Jiu) who finally managed to get the lease extended in time.
In 1954 SSWK re-registered its association with the authority in ompliance to the Registration of Societies Act (under the colonial Government, community associations were exempted from registration); a new governing system consisting of Board of Governors and Council replaced its old system. In 1961 the affiliated society of the Samsui Benefit Welfare Association that was formed earlier in 1951 was re-registered as an independent entity under the Societies Act as well. This society however was dissolved later as the number of members dwindled. Deposits were refunded to all affected members.
Subsequently, the Samsui community-run primary school ran out of space and hence its
operation was terminated in 1961. Nevertheless, the association continued to provide primary
education scholarships to outstanding children of its members. The scholarships were later
extended to students at secondary and tertiary levels.
SSWK Lion Dance Troupe was formed in 1965 with the aim to encourage the youth to engage in healthy recreational activities. The opening ceremony of the troupe was officiated by Mr Lee Khoon Choy, the then Minister of State for Culture. Two years later in 1967 at the association’s 81 celebration, they performed at the National Theatre Hall and invited President Yusof bin Ishak to be the patron of the event to raise funds for Cancer Society. Together with three other local and Hong Kong martial arts troupes they managed to raise $20,000 for the beneficiary.
Following the Government’s announcement to acquire the association’s premises under the urban redevelopement plan in 1970, a meeting was immediately held to discuss its next step. The general consensus was the legacies of our Samsui forefathers were too precious to be given up; the members proceeded to form a Building Fund committee which was tasked to seek donations and a suitable site. In fact the clan had already bought a 3-storey house in Keong Siak Street as a preemptive measure against land acquisition but it was not possible to use that property for the association’s intention use under the Residential Property Act, for that reason it was sold for $18,000.
Kudos to the project leaders Loke Hing Cheong (陆显昌, Lu Xianchang), Sam Lai Who (岑礼和, Cen Lihe) and Kok Shiu Kei (郭兆琦, Guo Zhaoqi) and members such as Loke Mun Ling (陆文领, Lu WenLing), Sin Leong (冼良, Xian Liang), we finally purchased a property (approx. 6,400 ft2) located at 10/12 Lorong 22 Geylang for $64,000. Originally a kampung house; it was demolished and rebuilt into a 4-storey building costing $237,000; the total area is slightly more than 4,000 ft2 after considering the space reserved for public purposes.
The construction cost of the new building was $300,000. We paid it off with the compensation from the government - $38,000; gifts from members - $220,000 and a bank loan for the difference in the form of an overdraft which took us a few years to repay. Unfortunately Kok Shiu Kei (郭兆琦, Guo Zhaoqi) who helmed the General Affairs of the Association and the Building Construction Committee, passed away due to exhausation before the relocation took place. Kok was a diligent man who worked tirelessly to help the Association achieved its goal.
We moved into the new premises in 1973. Activities went on as usual and we added Zhenwu Palace (北帝) at the basement of the building. In the Spring of 1990, we installed an idol of Lord Zhenwu from Lubao Xujiang Temple. Worship ceremonies take place on every 3rd day of theThird month of the Lunar calendar to celebrate
the birth Lord Xuantian – an important festival for the Association.
Third month of the Lunar calendar to celebrate the birth Lord Xuantian an important festival for the Association.
The opening ceremony of the new SSWK premises was held in 1979 and graced by the then MP of Kallang west and National Development Minister Mr Teh Cheang Wan. We invited Samsui folks from China, Hong Kong, Macau and Malaysia to witness this grand affair and also published a commemorative magazine to mark the occasion. We did the same in 1986 when we celebrated our Association’s 100th anniversary and once again invited folks at home and abroad to attend our centennial gala dinner.
We have been holding End of Year Lunch since 1978 for our senior members (age 70+); at this function an “Ang Bao” would be presented to each of them as a small gift. To strengthen ties between fellow Samsui, regular events especially during festival seasons such as New Year Day cocktail reception and Mid- Autumn Night are hold for everybody to mingle. Karaoke enthusiasts can relax and have fun at weekly karaoke sessions every Sunday, between 2 pm and 7pm in SSWK Function Room.
While we take care of our members, we are also mindful of the community at large. The Sam Sui Association participates actively in social
activities such as managing and developing the
cemetery and columbarium, including promoting the traditional customs at Hok Tek Chi Loke Yah Teng Association and Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Theng in honour of our forefathers; taking part in charitable activities organized by the Kwong Wai Shiu Hospital; working with Kwangtung Hui Kuan and Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan
Associations to promote among other things racial harmony, Chinese traditional cultures and Asian values.
At the Annual General Meeting in July 2009, members voted to revise the Association’s constitutions; that gave rise to a new Executive Management Committee replacing the previous governing structure.