115th Term Management Committee: 2022 to 2025
HISTORY / 新加坡三水会馆历史
The earliest record of Sam Sui natives coming to seek a living in Singapore can be traced back to the early 19th century. In 1941, seven martyrs of Cantonese origin, including a Sam Sui native named Liang Ya De, sacrificed themselves in a conflict with other local gangs over the rights of the cemetery at Luk Ye Pavilion.
三水会馆成立于何年，因时代久远，缺乏史料查证。据父老相传，三水人早期于广合源街三十一号，设有“ 肄江别墅 ”，为同乡联络聚会之场所，后迁移至豆腐街（盒吧珍珠街），始易名为三水会馆。在绿野亭有“三水义塚”立于光绪乙酉年（1885），在碧山亭加字山（第二亭）的三水会馆总坟设于1893年，前人乃以1886年为三水会馆成立元年。
The exact establishment year of Sam Sui Wui Kun is unknown due to the lack of historical records. According to oral transmission from elders, Sam Sui immigrants originally gathered for fellowship at a venue known as “Yi Jiang Villa” at No. 31 Guangheyuan Street (Pagoda Street) for fellow townsmen to gather. Later, they moved to Tofu Street (Upper Chin Chew Street) and renamed the place as Sam Sui Wui Kun. Based on available records of cemetery sites involving Sam Sui Natives in 1885 to 1893, elders considered the founding year of Sam Sui Wui Kun to be 1886.
In 1904, Mr Ho Sum Tin was elected General Manager of Sam Sui Wui Kun. Mr Ho observed other clan associations had their own buildings and proposed purchasing a permanent building for Sam Sui Wui Kun. This proposal received enthusiastic support from the board of directors, and a general meeting was held obtain approval for fund raising. Mr Lai and Mr Lou were appointed leaders of this project, together with the following nine committee members: Mr Ho Sum Tin, Mr Tang Shao Peng, Mr Sam Jiong, Mr Loke Yi Chew, Mr Lai Yun Sang, Mr Cheng Wai , Mr Xin Lin, Mr Lee Kat Xue, and Mr Loke Choing. At that time, most Sam Sui immigrants in Singapore are not wealthy, and their economic capabilities were limited. The project team showed strong initiative and teamwork by encouraging each other and working hard to secure funding. They went above and beyond by actively seeking donations from individuals in different locations. Through collaborative efforts, Sam Sui Wui Kun successfully acquired a three-story building located at 35 Hai San Street (Upper Cross Street) the following year. The cost of this purchase, including renovation, furniture, and opening ceremony, totalled more than $8,000, with the actual building price amounting to $3,500, which was a princely sum in those days.